Monday, July 6, 2009

flying high


My first day was more perfect than I could have even imagined. I carried a clipboard, I wore a lanyard, and not a student spoke when I was speaking. If they had though, I was ready with Reflection Corner. I realize that it is just the very beginning of my adventure and my growth as a teacher, but making it through the first day is a small feat which I am proud to have conquered. The knot in my stomach has finally gone and hopefully does not plan on making a fast return.

And today I learned about my students. Reading and math assessments revealed how much they cherish books. They couldn't wait to tell me how much they loved to read, how long they read each night, and what books were their favorite. Growing up in a house full of books, I am not sure I appreciated them on the same level. Some students tested well above the 7th grade level as 6th graders, and some students didn't come close. Some students got nearly every answer correct on the math pre-assessment, and some answered none. This is where the hard part comes in.

Yet now, with actual daily interactions with the scholars in my classroom, I can to you the small joys I will experience each day. And by small joys I mean hilarious things that students say. Today, we ended class with a name game in which the students were required to say their name and an adjective that describes them that starts with the same letter as their name. My teaching partner, Mr. Andrew Hasty, went first, stating, "My name is Mr. Hasty, and I'm Hasty." He passed on the torch to the first student, who responded, "My name is Dominic, and I'm Dominic." Needless to say, I am looking forward to tomorrow.

Here is a peek into my classroom:



My Think-Aloud hat:

Mr. Hasty and Ms. Hahn:




A glimpse of Bushwick:


Hopefully more successes to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment