Friday, July 17, 2009

relentless pursuit

I am so tired. My body has now become so accustomed to living off four hours of sleep each night that when I tried to get in a full six hours hours last night, my body rejected the idea of 'before midnight' and I am even more tired today than usual. I am starting to understand teacher burn out; it is inevitable if your entire life revolves around your students because then your entire life is a struggle. Today I had a meeting with a student in the principal's office after she rolled her eyes at me several times and claimed to be attitude free, but it turned out to be just as much of a learning experience for me as for her. Tomorrow I'll be more apt to handle it myself. But for now, I need to have some fun. And once again I had a full audience during my lesson: Teach for America donors on the scene to see just exactly where their dollars were going, my advisor, and (the most critical of all) a video camera. There are so many stories but so little time or energy, my life now boiled down daily to the idea that the need is great and the time is short. The need is great for sleep, the time for work is short. So for tonight I have for you no words, but only a glimpse into the great need in the short time of 9 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment